Janine Griffiths, a landscape designer and owner of GreenThumb,Inc. in Fort Lauderdale, entertained and informed Passionflower members and supporters on July 22nd with her Weedology presentation. She covered a lot of ground including the history of weeds, weeding techniques and tools, and weeding psychology. Her practical Weeding Wisdom:
- Removing weeds by hand is always more effective than with chemicals.
- Pull weeds when they are seedlings, before they flower and disperse seeds or deadhead them before they go to seed.
- Pull weeds out by their roots – gently, but firmly so you get the whole root.
- Know what kind of weed you are removing so you can use the right technique.
- Think of weeding as therapy – a mindful opportunity to get to know your garden and plants.
- There is no such thing as a weed-free garden, just a weed-controlled garden.
For weed identification Janine recommended several resources including a free guide which you can download along with the program handout from our Resources page.
If you missed the program, there's a recording Weedology 101 Recording 7-22-20.